With nearly 400,000 residential fires reported in 2014 in the United States, Randall Insurance encourages it’s clients to take the following tips very seriously. Some of these tips may sound trivial and others you have heard before, but you and your family’s protection is our main concern. Let’s plan ahead together and keep our families safe.
- Remain in the kitchen when cooking on the stove top and use timers for the oven.
- Clean your clothes dryer regularly and thoroughly (fires can break out from excess lint and debris)
- Check all vents on the outside of your home seasonally to keep them clear
- Annually, have a heating contractor inspect your furnace (checking for CO2 and fire dangers)
- Keep area near your furnace clear
- Install smoke detectors in all bedrooms and main hallways in all levels of your home (dual CO2 and smoke detectors are much preferred)
- Replace detectors batteries once a year
- Talk through a home fire evacuation plan with your family (if you have a two story home purchase escape ladders)
As always, please let us know if we can assist you or someone you know with fire safety knowledge and insurance protection.